Tuesday, April 26, 2011

H is for Hair, Hot air balloons, and Holocaust

I like my hair. I am really striving to be positive about my body. I have an impressionable young lady in my presence and I want her to hear her mama say good things about herself because I want EJ to think positively in herself too. So, my hair is nice. That's a start!

I have a love for hot air balloons. When I was a kid I lived a few miles from the Dayton airport and each year they had an air show, complete with a hot air balloon launch. My dad would get us up early and get us donuts and chocolate milk and we would chase a balloon or two until they landed. It felt magical. They are so vibrant and graceful as they float gently in the sky. I even got to go up in one when I was 10 and it was such a rush. Someday I'd like to do that again.

Lately I have been reading a lot about the Holocaust. I'm not sure what brought that on. I have always been fascinated at the fact that a mere 65 or so years ago 11 million people were murdered....and the world did nothing. I have always heard survivors and Jewish people talk about how we must never forget, but keep the memory alive. I guess I try and do that by reading and studying about those that survived it. One thing that I had never thought of before was who was killed. Not just names or even faces, but what would those men, women and children have become had they been given their right to live. Would AIDS have a cure? Would I be rocking out to a song by a European Jewish descendant? How many works of art would be showcased in a museum? Were there any great designers, architects, poets, writers, philosophers? The answer is yes, there were. Our world will never be the same and we can't even fathom all the beautiful things we are missing out on. I want to remember what should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment