Friday, September 23, 2011

All things AUTUMN

Today is the first day of my most beloved season, Autumn. Or fall, whatever. I love the word autumn so I will use it. Here is a list of why I love this time of year ohsomuch:

-Cooler temps, which means (in my opinion) cuter clothes like boots, jackets, sweaters, corduroy pants and HOODIES! Oh, I love hoodies.
-Apple orchards and pumpkin patches.
-Hayrides
-Bonfires
-The food! Soups, stews, fruit crisps and pies, cider, s'mores, and any food that makes me feel cozy.
-The beautiful leaves
-Beggars night in Franklinton
-Watching reruns of The Gilmore Girls. This can be done anytime, but I like it best in autumn.
-Watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" on TV with my family.
-Lighting the fire for the first time.
-Taking a Sunday drive with my love to watch the leaves.
-Lighting my Yankee candle 'Autumn Leaves' candles
-Anticipating what's to come. (i.e Thanksgiving and CHRISTMAS!)

There are probably countless other things I'm forgetting, but these are a few highlights. When the days grown shorter and the temperatures drop I always think of my brother, Mark Palmer though. He too loved all things fall. It makes me feel melancholy that he has never been to Blinntoberfest and that I'll never get to sit in the gardens at 64 King with him for autumn vespers. I had a good cry over his absence today. I know he is better off. I am hopeful of of the resurrection of the dead. Yet as I look around at my life and at the lives of those once a part of LP I can't help but wonder what life would be like had he lived and been healed in this life. I just miss him and his powerful presence in my life and the lives of so many of the ones I love. Today I am grateful for the years I knew him and the way those years shaped my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment