Friday, September 9, 2011

5 years...

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. Psalm 27:13-14
Five years a ago today I stood beneath a big tree with my beloved as these words were read. These words have deep, DEEP meaning for us. The meant a lot then and they mean a lot now. For me David Fessehazion and this life we are carving out for ourselves embodies this verse. We truly waited on the Lord to bring us together. I had no idea all those years spent praying and waiting that I was waiting for him. I never imagined my dreams and desires could be captured so wonderfully in one man. I am truly better because of him. He said it best when he said "Your strengths cover my weaknesses, and my strengths cover yours".

Life has not always been wonderful in the past 5 years, no sirree. We have had many sorrows, heartaches, setbacks and we've even had times when we honestly weren't sure we had what it was going to take to make it for the long haul. Thankfully, we choose each day to love one another and to put in the work a life together requires.

A few days after we became engaged we went to Haiku with our dear friends Mark and Amy Palmer. That night over sushi and pad thai we asked Mark to officiate our wedding. He told us that he would be honored to do so and he said that during our homily he would incorporate a few verses from Psalm 27, because they reminded him of us. Not exactly being a Bible scholar I asked what those verses said. He told me and then he looked at us and said "You guys remind me that I have seen the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living". Mark was less than 4 weeks from dying from stage 4 colon cancer. I can't recall anyone ever saying anything to me that made me feel the way that statement did.

My David has allowed me to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living in ways I can't express fully to anyone. I am very much in love with my husband, and that feels amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, friend. I'm still honored that I got to be such a big part of your day, it was truly beautiful... and so bittersweet. I miss Mark an extra lot today. This part of your post brought me to tears immediately: "My David has allowed me to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living in ways I can't express fully to anyone." I feel the same way about my Matt. I also feel similarly about our teacher who left this world all too soon. I'm celebrating and remembering along with you today. lovelovelove

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kelli. It took me a long time to draft this one because I got so emotional when I tried to write it down. I had a good happy cry today. My life is full of such rich and meaningful relationships, and topping that list is the one I have wit David. You rank pretty darn high too. Lovelovelove you.

    ReplyDelete