Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Vacation

On Saturday we are flying to Tampa to spend a week in the sun with my parents, my siblings, nieces and nephews. I am excited. I am also a touch anxious! In total there will be 24 of us split up in two houses that share a courtyard. My parents very generously paid for the house and we all just get to show up when we want. Last year we went to Destin, FL which was anew destination for our family. We have always gone to Clearwater Beach, near Tampa. That's where we are going this year. It will be a treat to be back there. That place holds some of our most treasured memories as a family. The boats, restaurants, shops, pier and boardwalk are all familiar and hold story upon story of growing up.

My younger brother and his wife will be there and I am so looking forward to spending this time with them. They are expecting there first baby, a girl named Reese Eileen, in October. This will be my first biological niece. I am beside myself excited! Over the years my brother and I have grown so much in our relationship. We have gone from sibling rivalry to dear friends and confidants in the last 15 years and I am so grateful for that. They have always been into the party scene and I am not, but as they are aging we have more and more in common than we used to. My girls are also really into their aunt and uncle! It's so sweet to watch them bond with them and the special bond they have is just precious to watch. We will be building some special memories that's for sure!

I am also really looking forward to spending time with my nieces Gracie, Georgia, Hannah and Makaya. They are all about the same age being born from November 1998 to September 1999. They love being around my girls and have even offered to babysit so David and I can go out on a date while we are on vacation! Yay! Emaline idolizes them and that's ok by me. They are good girls, they love Jesus, dress modestly and speak kindly. I also can't wait for them to let me practice my braiding skills on their long hair since mine is shorter and Emmy has little patience to let me practice! Ha!

In an effort to be transparent I must say though that I am anxious about the trip too in some ways. Particularly with the food. My family culture is to eat. Eat often. Eat unhealthy food. Talk about weight. Constantly reference when we are going on our next diet. Watching and commenting on what others are eating. it really is quite odd if you ask me. Someone like me has a tough time in this. I have certain foods I abstain from and certain hings I prefer not to talk about. How will I handle it when my mom makes biscuits and gravy for breakfast and I abstain from it because that food causes me to stumble into overeating, etc? Will my stepsister comment about it? Will they roll their eyes? Will they talk about me behind my back? Will it matter to me? AH!!!! I am building myself a little insurance this week by praying more, attending meetings and asking for prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment