Monday, October 17, 2011

Marathon

Yesterday I completed my 2nd half marathon! This year my friend Elisha and I walked it, and we're both pregnant. She is 34 weeks and I am 21. It was tough, but so worth it. I love to challenge myself and to feel the sense of accomplishment, strength and even pain makes me feel more alive, like I am testing the limits or something. I think that must be why 17,000 people ran or walked in the half or full marathon yesterday.

I have several friends who ran the full 26.2 for the first time yesterday and they all finished! WOW! I was inspired in new ways by all of them. Some of them have been my partners in weight loss, and one has been a friend for over 10 years and is now a neighbor. Each of them ran the race for a different reason and all of them worked through injuries, distractions and negativity to get to the start line and then the finish line.

I find marathons to be emotional. To watch someone achieve something they had worked so hard for makes me cry. I know that kind of work and determination, and I have been changed by it. Silly as it may seem, I see God in it. He made us and made our bodies that can withstand so much, but are still so fragile. When I saw friends running across the line or in the race I was overcome. To a lot of people running that far seems stupid to say the least. What's the point? Is it worth the time, money and energy? Aren't there better things to put your time into? Yet for those of us out there that have tasted and seen the power God put within us in this way it makes sense.

26.2? Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment