Monday, October 20, 2014

A word to describe

This is an ode to my sisters, because the word friend seems hollow when trying to describe what these women are to me.

In the fall of 1999 I moved onto the campus of MVNC. It's ironic that the slogan of the school is "Life Changing", because it's cliche and cheesy, but 100% true in my experience. Sure, I learned stuff and got a degree and all that, but the thing that changed me the most were the women I met there. Some guys too, but mostly my women friends. We all assembled ourselves Freshman year. That year we even tried to petition to live off campus in a house my dad was going to buy me! Ha! I was so disappointed at the time but now I am so glad we weren't allowed to move to Ames St.

That year my family exploded just a bit. My dad had an affair with my step-mom's dearest friend. It was a nightmare. My dad had always been my rock and he was suddenly a lying cheat. My biological mom was a hot mess and she was in and out of my life and abusing drugs. I was usually embarrassed and ashamed and tried to put on a brave face, but I crumbled in front of these newish friends...and they carried me. They carried me in prayer, by making me laugh until I cried, by asking me the hard questions, by going with me to my hometown after Betty moved out. They loved me so well. I had never known friends like this before. Friends who could get on their knees and pray for me but also pile into a Geo Metro and drive around a golf course making my sides split with laughter.

We went to college on a dry campus and so we had a different college experience from most of our high school friends from home. Instead of going to keg parties and clubs, we went to the city center mall and watched movies. We went on drives and to Wal-Mart. We ate a lot of Taco Bell. Yet during this time God was knitting us together. I can't stress enough that we are and were knit together. Together we endured stuff like break-ups, bad grades, arguments with our parents and money woes. We also walked shoulder to shoulder when our parents were sick and when we had questions about who Jesus was. I sensed early on that these friends were lifelong. These women would be my tribe in this life's journey.

We've gone through some serious stuff, my friends and I. The other day Kelli spoke in chapel at MVNU and shared her story and what God did in her life through a series of devastating losses. It was a surreal moment in my life to be sitting in that big auditorium next to Summer and listening to Kelli tell some of her part of our bigger story. Babies have been born (lots of them!) and tragically we have mourned sweet babies gone before their mama's got to love on them outside the womb. Some babies born after much struggle to get them and some after a whoops! Babies that have been sick and their moms shook with fear, but we held vigil and sent cards and brought food (or walked the hospital grounds while I puked and cried...). We have loved babies not born of our bodies but of our hearts. We have buried grandparents, friends and even a mother. There have been cross country moves, job changes, home buying and selling and refinancing. Parents have had strokes, heart attacks, depression, cancer and one has remarried. We have rejoiced and danced and caught bouquets at each others weddings. Some of us got married when we were still in school and others of us wondered and waited and longed for what seemed like eternity.

What I mean to say is that as I have gone through these last 15 crazy beautiful, hard, wonderful years I have looked to my left and to my right and these ladies have been there. Cheering me on and praying for me and loving me when I was hard to love. I am not romanticizing or being sentimental, I am speaking the truth. Jenny, Amy, Liz, Maria, Beth, Elisha, Kelli, Summer, Tiffany, Wendy, Holly and Heather you ladies changed my life and have been the hands and feet of Jesus to me in ways I can't quite explain or put into words. You make me laugh until I cry and you pray when I just can't. There is distance in miles but it doesn't matter. Truth is, when I picture Heaven someday I often imagine it being a little bit like Maplewood 102.

1 comment:

  1. Melt :')
    I love you friend. I'm so grateful, as well, for all of these lovely, Spirit filled ladies.

    ReplyDelete