Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mud pies

"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
~ The Weight of Glory


This quote has been rolling around my brain for days now after reading it. Recently I have been forced to face some of my own shortcomings. Battles that have raged war in my mind and for my heart for years and years. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever find real freedom from those thoughts and actions this side of heaven. One part of me says no. Nope, you will just struggle forever. We each have our burdens to bear and our scars from living in the world. Yet there is another side that says yes. YES! You can be free! Jesus died for your ransom from this prison in your mind. You don't have to be in jail, you have been given the key and you have to let yourself out through the blood of the lamb. Sometimes I think the only thing getting in my way is me. I want to know the tools to get out of my way. 

This quote makes me really think that maybe, just maybe, God wants more for me here. Right now. Not just in eternity, but right now.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment