Friday, March 25, 2011

When I lay my head down at night...

Maybe some of you stay-at-home momma's can identify with me here. Each day I spend my time doing a myriad of things that (from an outsider, ha even my own husband) look like nothing at all. In addition to asking myself at the end of the day what I've actually accomplished, I sometimes feel like I failed at the unseen things I did do. So today I decided that as time permits I'm going to write a list of all the things I've done in a day, seen and unseen. Here was what today looked like:

*Fed Emaline breakfast
*Read Emaline about 30 books
*Got in 50 minutes of exercise at the Y while Emaline played
*Babysat for Silas for an hour and fed two babies lunch
*Made a pot of chili
*Took a bath
*Cleaned the sink, toilet and mirror in the bathroom
*De-cluttered the guest room, the entryway and dining room
*Cleaned Em's high-chair and kitchen table
*Made a grocery list and meal plan for the coming week
*Watched an episode of The Office online (ok, that's not exactly productive...)
*Sang songs with Emaline
*Filled up a sippy cup 3 times
*Changed 4 diapers (so far)
*Written this here blog
*Caught up on Facebook (I know, I know)
*Checked up on my BFF who is in the hospital and told those awaiting info the scoop (and prayed about it continually)
*Read a portion of Ruth 4
*Mothered: this is intangible. As much as I want to label my activity this one just can't be labeled. All the loving embraces and thoughtful explanations or gentle corrections cannot be seen right away. They will show up later in the kind of woman she becomes. She is already making this mommy proud of what I've done so far. I have a smart, curious and tender toddler who loves people and loves to laugh. That's enough for me. I am a mother, I am her mother. Even if at the end of the day nothing else got done (kinda like Tuesday and Wednesday of this week) I hope I'd be able to say this is enough, because it is.

Maybe not the most productive day ever, but not too shabby either. Now when I lay down to go to sleep tonight I'll have this list and i think it just might help me.

My life is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment